Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Kyrie WIP pt. 6

She is pretty close to finished. The leaves I ordered arrived today, and I went to work pretty much after opening the package. I taped them down with low tack tape to a piece of a blister pack, and airbrushed a few different colors - reddish browns and oranges. I used the airbrush to create a stippling effect by turning the PSI down really low and only allowing a small amount of paint out of the nozzle.


The darker of these leaves has been painted, the other has not. It seems like a lot of work for a small difference, but I think the effect is noticeable; I really wanted the leaves to have a texture to them. The next time I use them, I might try sealing them with gloss varnish or Vallejo primer before I paint them. They are made of paper, so they kind of soak up paint, and don't have that natural "leafy" look to them.

I fixed them to the base using matte varnish, but I still wasn't pleased with the way they looked, they kind of stuck out. So I did a few glazes with GW flesh and sepia washes. The result is below.


They still seemed to stick out too much, so I decided to do some more glazes with Thornwood Green. There are a lot of browns and greens on the base already, and I thought using it to shade the leaves might help to unify them together. I think it worked out pretty well.


Here she is, almost finished!


No comments:

Post a Comment