Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pounder Finished

Well, this is my final entry for the 5th Dimension contest. It was a nice change of pace, too; painting vehicles is a little different than painting figures. 

I was flipping through the first Imperial Armor book a couple months ago, and I've kind of had an itch to do something like this since then. This was also the first time I've used Army Painter quickshade, and I'm impressed. I used it in some way on almost every surface of this piece: tank armor, metallics, the ground, etc., all had quickshade applied at some point (sometimes more than once) and in some form or another. It's pretty thick, which gives you a lot of room to play around with its consistency.

What's fun about painting vehicles is that it is, to me at least, more like painting bases: it's all about creating layers of textures and effects to produce a 'big picture', and there aren't a lot of ways to make mistakes. Sometimes, even small imperfections can really turn out looking cool. One thing that happened that is kind of cool on this one is that I used Tamiya masking tape to do the camo pattern, and when I removed it, it left this filmy residue in a couple places. At first I was kind of frustrated, but after a while I came to appreciate the worn effect it gave the armor. It became another interesting texture in the mix. I doubt anyone would be able to tell what it is if I didn't point it out, and even then, I think it only adds to the look!

Here's the king in all it's glory:



 

No comments:

Post a Comment